Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how does current email protocol support mail receipt verification?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how does current email protocol support mail receipt verification?
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 21:31:09 -0500
On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 09:20:38PM -0500, Ian Ward wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>wrote:
> >  the lawyer took it one step further, asking whether there was a way
> > to absolutely *guarantee* that someone you emailed had read that
> > email.  i'm not a mail protocol expert but i thought about it briefly,
> > then said i didn't think so, and used my mail setup as an example.
>
> People commonly call a shared exchange server "email", and I believe with
> exchange and a bunch of microsoft email clients you can tell when an email
> has been displayed.
>
> But even then, I don't know how this could ever be the same as saying that
> a person actually *read* the email.

Or whether it was an anti-spam or virus scanner that actually did, or
even a spook.

I'd say that most marketing types and lawyers don't understand the
technology enough to be so certain, particularly if technical folks
don't.

> Ian

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!