Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Linux Digest, Vol 85, Issue 1

Are you sure this isn't Holiday related?
See below for my motivated suggestions.

<film-rip>

To the theme of Ntl' Lampoons Holiday Christmas.  (Go rent the movie,
if you haven't already; unless you're not allowed -- due to your religion.)

Is it due, at least in-part, to something like a certain beloved cat or
alcohol interferring with a certain network cable, device or router setting?
Did the inlaws come-over and break the network when they unplugged
something?  Is that their fault? ...

Wait. Don't get upset, that's not the spirit of the Merry Christmas season.
Let's get "techy" and involve the whole gang.  You might even use walkie-talkies
between rooms to get into the pro mindset, seriously.  ["Unplug it and
plug-it "back in". *over* Working yet? *over*"]

Gives good reason to throw that iPhone on the table, unless you have a
plan with a lot of talk time.

On 1/1/12, linux-request [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca
<linux-request [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca> wrote:
> Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 11:55:53 -0500
> From: ed stuckems <edstuckems [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
> Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] need help solving an issue with my network
>
> Folks:
>
> This may be slightly off-topic, so I hope you'll consider this request
> for help appropriate for this list.

Not, if your router is running Linux.

Is it a WRT type with the new crackable passwords?
Perhaps a wiley hacker has made their way into the core.
 - YIkes, just joshing you?!

> My home network is suddenly misbehaving and after poking around a bit
> I'm at a loss to explain why things aren't working and I can't seem to
> fix the problem.  Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps, I'm finding humour to help lighten the severity of the outage
and empathize with your frustration, but did this happen just when you
plugged in an extra string of Christmas lights on a timer - on the same
outlet as your wifi router?

*blink* *blink*  (dhcp server starting, dns server st.. reboot, dhcp
server starting, reboot)

> Here's the problem ... My kids' computers recently stopped serving web
> pages.  After poking around a bit, it appears that dns requests from
> their machines aren't being resolved.  Poking around more, I've
> discovered that the game consoles and the android based phone aren't
> working either and I suspect it's for the same reasons.  The phone
> worked on the wifi network as recently as last week.  However, there
> are machines on the network that are working!   My linux box, mac book
> pro (running Mac OSX), iPad, and Windows Vista computers are all
> working.

And your next door neighbour just got a new WiFi access point this year
which interferes with yours?  Do they both have the same SSID?

> All the machines are able to access internal machines/servers/services
> via ip address (I'm not using dns for internal servers) and everything
> internal can be pinged and is able to ping (most) everything else.  On
[..]

All the machines *plugged* into the router are fine, that's not an issue.
Only ones that connect via wifi, keep having connection issues!  Ironically.

[..]
> I'm at a loss to explain what's happening and any advice or guidance
> for correcting the issue would be greatly appreciated.

What's the name you gave your router?  I like Linksys myself.

(I'm not suggesting this applies to you.  But I want to raise a concern
why you can't just trust the default settings even if they worked before.
This is probably too simple, but ya'never know.)

Did your neighbour mistakenly try to login as l:admin and p:default to
the Linksys and hit your router instead?  If you locked it down, this is
just a suggestion, and again meant in humour..

What /else/ could have changed?

</film-rip>

> regards
> eds.

I feel like Sanata, providing ad-hoc DSL support at midnight..
Satisfying.  Tis the season to be giving.

But, am I being a bit of a Tech-Support Grinch, _not_ providing you the
answer, _right away_?  (http://www.userfriendly.org/)  I just keep going
on and on.. I am sure all the minds of OCLUG can fix this one eventually,
so don't give-up, it's still early in the evening.

It's not like you were gunning for it the first shot earlier this evening
I bet, but I suspect you wanted the Linux-tech know-how.  I suspect,
since you made it to this list, you have a good level of understanding,
so don't let my dark humour upset the ocassion or discourage you.

If all else fails, when you unplug the Christmas tree, all of a sudden
it works, it works!  Is it the wall switch on the left, the other left,
the outlet on the extension bar?  <wiggle/> <wiggle/>.

Tootles,
 - AF

~%~~ Is humour blasphemy?              ~%~~
 `3    Happy New Year, 2012 OCLUG'ers.  8.

message navigation