Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Apache sercuity question

On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 09:07 -0500, Brenda J. Butler wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 12:37:11PM -0500, Bart Trojanowski wrote:
> > 2011/12/13 Jean-Fran?ois Bilodeau <jfbilodeau [ at ] chronogears [ dot ] com>
> >
> > > It should, but if the probe was successful with
> > > /?file=../../../../../../proc/self/environ%00, that tells me that the index
> > > may be a script (ie: index.php instead of index.html).
> > >
> > > Another possibility is that the query string was indeed ignored, and there
> > > is no security hole.
> > >
> > > Jeff: have you tried to /?file=../../../../../../proc/self/environ%00 url?
> > > Did that return anything unwanted?
> > >

> > http://www.jukie.net/~bart/html_test/?foo=foo
> >
> > html_test/index.html is just a static html.  It returns 200. the foo=foo
> > seems to be ignored.
>
> I tried it on my dynamic page (served by byteflow), and just got the
> front page (as I would expect for a http://server/ url).
>
> I know my software will not look at the GET query part (the part after
> ?) for the front page.
>
> I think it comes down to knowing what your server is going to do with
> the GET query.  If you actually have php, you may be able to configure
> it to only serve pages that are part of your site, and to ignore (or
> slap back in response to) requests for pages elsewhere on your
> machine.

I also see this in my logs so I asked google about it and found a few
hits. One interesting one is on youtube where someone use it to exploit
a website, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY_mxbkqqwM , and that was
uploaded nov 17 2011, and if it was done that recent then they are
behind on patching
I found some discussion around the problem at
http://lwn.net/Articles/191954/

Tested it on some of my sites, checked my logs for anything else then
probes and apparmor for denied logs but didn't find any so I guess I
don't have an issue on my servers.

If you have anything that looks like a bit more then a probe you could
have a problem but otherwise it seems to be more of yet another scripted
attack log added now and then.

/ps