Re: [OCLUG-Tech] tool for fancy diagrams?

2011/12/9 Jean-François Bilodeau <jfbilodeau [ at ] chronogears [ dot ] com>

> I second that + openclipart.org to complement inkscape.
>
> J-F

I think InkScape is awesome.  After a few false starts, I never really
learned Illustrator, and I'm an SVG expert, so take it as a subjective
opinion when I say I think that InkScape is a lot easier to use than
Illustrator.

Unlike The GIMP vs Photoshop.  Photoshop is awesome.  (I know how to use
that)  But The GIMP is good enough for anything I want.

InkScape has the advantage of using an open XML format, it's dynamic.  You
can animate it and access it through the DOM.  I use it for things like air
traffic displays for live radar, that work in any of the major browsers.
(Free client)  Currently working on a CAD system for use as an ATC (Air
Traffic Control) adaptation tool.  i.e. configuring ATC systems.

I think InkScape is a much better answer to vector graphics than is
Illlustrator.

(Did I forget to mention Powderpoint?  No, I didn't forget.)

The problem with SVG is that there aren't enough tools to cover the endless
solutions it could be used for.  But for straight up presentation, (again)
InkScape is awesome.

I haven't used the dynamic features of InkScape (user events, animation)
because I tend to write my own solutions for those things.  If you use it,
and try out the dynamic features, I'd like to hear about your experience /
frustrations / successes.

Plus, as JF says, there is quite a bit of good SVG clip-art released to the
commons at Open Clipart.