[OCLUG-Tech] Recommendations for low maintenance Debian mail/dns/web setup?

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Recommendations for low maintenance Debian mail/dns/web setup?
  • From: Michael Walma <mike [ at ] walma [ dot ] org>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 20:24:56 -0500
Hello Folks,

The announcement that Debian will no longer be supporting 'oldstable' aka 'lenny' means that I will need to migrate my modest set-up to 'squeeze'. I thought I might take advantage of the opportunity to reconsider some of my package choices. I am currently running Postfix, Dovecot, Apache and Maradns quite happily and with very little maintenance required. The one part of my set-up that I have not been completely happy with has been my choice of Horde/IMP for web mail access. There's nothing terribly wrong with it, but it looks clunky and I'm thinking there must be better alternatives.

Does anyone have any advice for Horde alternatives? (Or for other parts of my set-up, although for that I would take some convincing?) I would be looking for some thing that is relatively light weight, plays nicely with Dovecot, Postfix and Apache, can be run as an https site, is actively maintained, and works out of the box from a stock Debian package. I would only need the webmail with associated contact lists. I am checking the web, but I've found that advice from the list has generally been more helpful than the random material I find 'out there'.

Thanks in advance,

Michael