Re: [OCLUG-Tech] handbrake?

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 11:22, John C Nash <nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca> wrote:
> Has anyone got any experience with handbrake dvd->mpeg package.

I've had some success converting things down to be playable on an
android tablet with handbrake (on Debian).  In summary: awful name,
cumbersome UI, but great results.

The trick for me was finding a script/config that worked with my
target device (a .plist file).

> I'm running Ubuntu Lucid and installed it, but could not get the "start" button to become
> active. There is some noise on forums about "start button greyed out" but I couldn't get a
> clear idea of what is wrong or what I should do.

If you start it from the console, do you get additional output?

Did you select a preset from the list on the right side?

Can you use "Add to queue" and then "Show queue" to start it there?

Once it's running, the "Activity window" shows a lot of details.  But
if you're not there... that doesn't help.

-Bart