[OCLUG-Tech] Word and Text Processing -- second Leavitt Memorial Seminar

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Word and Text Processing -- second Leavitt Memorial Seminar
  • From: John C Nash <nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 11:21:18 -0500
Apologies to those of you on both Linux and GOSLING lists for duplicates.

This is to announce that OCLUG intends to run a second Leavitt Memorial Seminar. The
proposed topic this time is FLOSS Word and Text Processing. The main emphasis is likely to
be Open/Libre Office writer, with mention of Abiword. (Are there others.) Some mention of
text processing vs word processing will be made, e.g., TeX and friends, but primarily to
differentiate such tools from word processing. (Another seminar?)

OCLUG Board felt that, unlike our inaugural GIMP seminar by Gary Jones, we did not have an
"expert" on the range of subjects related to word processing, but could likely find among
us a panel of speakers who could address different aspects. Furthermore, we feel that the
materials could become an ongoing resource for mix-and-match presentations helpful to the
FLOSS community, and might be translated to provide bilingual capability.

To this end, I've set up a very minimal outline of topics on a wiki at

http://macnash.telfer.uottawa.ca/week101  (look to bottom of main page). There is a French
language stub "semaine101" which is in fairly desperate need of material.

Contributions and ideas are very welcome, and I'll happily give write access to those
willing to help out with ideas, commentary, documentation, etc. Since uOttawa provides me
the server, I simply need to know who has access (real name, address and phone -- they are
kept private and not on server). Email me offline with that information plus preferred
username and initial pw. The wiki software is Dokuwiki.

When we have a sense of what we will present, we'll try to arrange venue and time, likely
in the spring of 2012.

Cheers,

John Nash