[OCLUG-Tech] how to recreate old ubuntu postfix setup on new ubuntu system?

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] how to recreate old ubuntu postfix setup on new ubuntu system?
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 12:41:20 -0500 (EST)
  i'm by no means an expert on email admin so i'm betting this is a
fairly simple problem.  i have a current ubuntu 11.04 laptop on which
email works fine -- it's a combination of fetchmail to get my email
from my provider, alpine as my email client and postfix running
underneath.

  i want to move all my work to a new ubuntu 11.10 system so it's
fairly easy to copy over everything email-related to my new account --
the mail/ directory, the mbox file, the .fetchmailrc and .pinerc
files, the .addressbook* files and so on and so on.  at this point, i
think i've copied over all the home directory content i want to work
with at the moment, including everything necessary for proper email
operation.

  the last thing to do is, on the new system, install postfix so that
it behaves the same way as on the existing system and, when i install
it, i'm given a list of choices as to how i want to configure postfix:

  No configuration
  Internet Site
  Internet with Smarthost
  Satellite system
  Local only

  i'm fairly sure what i want is either "Internet Site" or "Internet
with smarthost".  recall that fetchmail and alpine are already
configured to know all about my service provider.  so what would be
the correct recipe here?  i'm convinced it's fairly simple, but i'm
not an email wizard.  thanks.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca