[OCLUG-Tech] easiest way to convert HTML (book) file to epub/ebook?

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] easiest way to convert HTML (book) file to epub/ebook?
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 13:15:13 -0500 (EST)
  i'm currently checking out some possibilities for ebook/epub
publishing but if someone has the recipe to do the following on my
ubuntu system, that would be ducky.

  i was handed a sizable (5M) HTML file that represents a book someone
wants to make available as an e-book.  it's an entirely self-contained
file; as in, no references to CSS, all styling is buried in the early
HTML.  it's also annoyingly one long line so, if i'm going to
manipulate it at all manually, i'll first run it through something
like "tidy" to add indentation.

  once that's done, i'm curious as to the easiest way to make the
HTML -> ebook transformation.  i know about "calibre" but that seems
like overkill just for this one instance.

  i installed the package libebook-tools-perl, which gave me the
"ebook" command which looks like it might do what i want:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/oneiric/man1/ebook.1p.html

so i'll play with that for the next couple hours.  but if someone out
there has been down this road before and knows the exact steps, that
would save me a bit of time.  thanks.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca