Re: [OCLUG-Tech] why does my new ASUS laptop not run the memory test?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] why does my new ASUS laptop not run the memory test?
  • From: Bart Trojanowski <bart [ at ] jukie [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 17:31:20 -0400
Google tells me that you need a BIOS upgrade.  Something about USB
emulation that prevents certain kinds of BIOS services from working.

I would have thought that grub would be the one doing all the disk IO
for memtest, and that memtest would not actually talk to the disk.  If
that is true then it's not disk related, but it's still possible that
memtest is calling into the BIOS for something that the normal boot
process does not... and in this case the BIOS does not implement the
UEFI wrapper correctly.

-Bart