[OCLUG-Tech] Server configuration problem

Hi all.

I've been a lurker here for the last couple of years.  It's been
informative.  Now I have a particular issue I'm really struggling with.

A local food production company I used to work for in the UK has a remote
server that hosts a variety of web-based applications, including a CMS for
the corporate web site, an online ordering and production administration
system, communications tools, and a CRM.  These are largely PHP based
applications, with one exception.

Last week, all of the PHP systems stopped working. The sole mongrel/Ruby
based application continued unaffected.  Further testing showed that apache
works perfectly on any static file (html), but the php interpreted pages
returned empty.  This occurs even when a php command is nested after static
html:

<h1>PHP Test</h1>
<?php phpinfo() ?>

This returns a blank page. The favicon, where one exists, is displayed!

PHP runs without problem at the command line, and apache claims to be
to display, even with apache in debug mode.

Has anyone ever seen this before?  Any suggestions as to what might be
wrong?

The server is running Fedora Core 6. ( I know... ).

Thanks in advance
Marti