[OCLUG-Tech] RPM 4/5

For those who didn't hear yet; there is an RPM5. (http://rpm5.org)

    It seems as though a popular packager has bumped-up the RPM version on recently built packages to use features only available in RPM-5.

  Meanwhile, users need the latest version of their software.  The last version from un-named packager worked flawless.

error: Failed dependencies:
    rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1 is needed by $Package

    A not so insignificant installed base of RedHat servers has rpm-4.4.2.3 as the latest rpm release available from the vendor.  In order to install rpm5 files w/ newer hash, I used: rpm --nodeps --nomd5. -- however by removing the deps check I have to install them by hand.

    Any work-arounds / idea to use these with YUM?

    Can I override the hash on the binary rpm for all packages?  Since yum is python it should be hard to find-out.  That is all I require, all the right repo files exist.

    If worse comes to worse, I can use a simple install script to extract dep lists and do each one at a time.

   I checked RHN; no RPM-5 from official vendor channel yet.  So, if people package their release on a system with rpm version 5, which defaults to dependency rpmlib(FileDigests) using a stronger SHA hash versus the older MD5 hash; these rpm packages will NOT work by default, even on recent RHEL5 servers.

    This means, between different distributions, there now are rpm packages that are incompatible for the OS release/arch which they were targeted for.  All the repo files are there and many of the packages install fine, except a few rpms.

    While not a new problem, this was the first time, I ran into this particular issue with an application that is suppose to install on RHEL5.

    The packager did a decent job, except they are not being installed on Fedora or a server that got updated to the new non-redhat rpm5 tools.

    It's too bad the packager didn't build them with the following lines in SPEC file when targeting rhel5 releases:

÷global _binary_filedesc_algorithm 1
÷global _source_filedesc_algorithm 1

    As a result: it will take me longer to install the same packages under the "officially supported" distro, than the unsupported Fedora.  The users are exactly where RedHat left them: at the "stable" (lagged-by-design) packages.

- Allan Fields