Re: [OCLUG-Tech] VPS Service Providers

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011, Michael Walma wrote:

I am in the hunt to move my servers from a VPS hosted by vpsville.ca
to another service provider.  My patience has run out with vpsville,
which, while relatively cheap, has not worked out for me in terms of
reliability or responsiveness to problems.

Michael, I'm sorry to hear that. I've been running two servers at vpsville.ca (Canadian corporation, servers located at 151 Front Street) for about two years. Now, I'd be the last person to say that vpsville was perfect. I am in no way questioning your experience, which could vary from mine for 100 possible different configuration differences. A few years ago, they apparently had a significant, unrecoverable loss of customer data. Ouch. (OFFSITE backups - always - folks) I've had a few short outages and one longer one; it seems like they rebooted the parent host and it had to fsck terabyte-sized filesystem - whoops, bad config. (remember "tune2fs", guys!)

I just did a major distro change on one server (to 10.04 LTS) and they promptly handled swapping my IP addreses between VPSs, as I did the upgrade on a temporary VPS for migration and testing before making it the new production server.

Overall, vpsville has worked pretty well for my two sites serving mostly Ottawa-Gatineau users. I got "25% off for life" coupon discounts for both servers so the cost is reasonable, but other businesses are in the same range too. VPSVille offers an unconditional 30 day money back guarantee on all services, and you can rent on a monthly basis (or even less if you know how), so an evaluation is minimal risk and money upfront.

It was an interesting experience getting Linux - Apache - Mysql - PHP - Postfix - greylisting - Mailman - spamd and DNS all running on a 256 MB -configured VPS, when I run 8 GB RAM on my home servers. I learned a bit ;-)

I haven't used any other VPS hoster so can't offer a fair comparison to others.

Brett