Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Microsoft's Hand in Novell Deal Bodes Ill for Linux

On 10-11-23 07:27 PM, Paul B. wrote:
Another corporate acquisition that "Bodes Ill for Linux".

I don't see what the big deal is. Let's not forget where Linux came from, UNIX. UNIX was created and licenced by AT&T (back before it was broken up). But what AT&T did was give it to universities for free. Not being a good OS, the computer geeks at the universities made improvements and share them among themselves. Then AT&T took their code, placed it in their product and sold it to businesses, _without giving any credit to the universities_ (and certainly not any money). The geeks thought enough is enough and create GNU. The rest is history.

I don't see why everyone is so worried about Microsoft; the open-software community has already taken on the phone company and won. Why are things different this time around?

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
  Shawn

as it is about coding.

The secret to great software:  Fail early & often.

Eliminate software piracy:  use only FLOSS.