Re: [OCLUG-Tech] [Fwd: How to buy a Laptop Best Practices]

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] [Fwd: How to buy a Laptop Best Practices]
  • From: "Brenda J. Butler" <bjb [ at ] linuxbutler [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 15:12:08 -0500
On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 10:48:49PM -0400, Prof. John C Nash wrote:
> One thing I don't know about is whether there is any open software
> that can mimic MS Access. It may be that a few of us could do a

MS Access is two things:  it is a database, and an extendable
gui/reportwriter.

For the database, you can use sqlite or mysql (or for the brave,
postgresql, it's not really that hard after all).

For the extendable gui/reportwriter, I don't know of any open
source alternatives - wish I did.

However, I do know that MS Access is a bit lacking as a DB.
It is probably closer to SQLite than MySQL (ie, it's a single-user
database - it claims to be multi-user - with a max of 255 users
though - and it tends to be buggy when you're trying to use it
as multi-user).

The GUI/reportwriter makes multi-table queries doable by non-DB
people.

bjb