Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Symmetric broadband provider

On Sep 30, 2010, at 22:10, Peter Sjoberg wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is any kind of project to install fibre
> connection or some other really high speed technology for residential
> use ?  Is it really so bad that we only have access to <10MBit/1Mbit
> unless the internet cost exceed morgage payment on a big house (and even
> then it seems hard).

This is what happens when there is a lack political will and a oligopoly of broadband providers. What really should be done is to break up Bell to separate the actual access/plant division from the ISP/telco division. The access/plant division would rent access to any ISP/telco (Bell, Teksavy,...). This way the access/plant division would be motivated to build out an uptodate access networks, rather than sticking with the twisted pair.

My friends in Japan gets 1Gbps symmetric to their apartment for about $70/month including phone but it's high density living.

Regards,
Spencer