Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Questions about a Linux file server I am about to build.

On Sep 17, 2010, at 12:51 PM, Charles Nadeau wrote:

> • How much RAM should I get for a file server like the one I am building?
> Will more RAM means more cache and better performance or with a small number
> of clients it doesn’t really matter? Is ECC-RAM really important in my
> situation?

In terms of file-serving, the drives will likely be the bottleneck - especially running RAID 5. Your router/switch/network may very well be the next bottleneck before RAM. With only 3 users any additional memory probably won't even be noticed (most of the time anyway - lots of small files and/or really big files can make a difference) but it sure won't hurt.

Buy as much RAM as you can afford, keeping in mind that it almost certainly will be cheaper next year.