Re: [OCLUG-Tech] wget passphrase

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Bart Trojanowski <bart-oclug [ at ] jukie [ dot ] net> wrote:
> * Rafael Roquetto <rafaelroquetto [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com> [100331 13:32]:
>> 2010/3/31 piper.guy1 <piper [ dot ] guy1 [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
>>
>> > I need to use 'wget' to do a secure file download. It works great at
>> > the command line. Unfortunately wget asks for the PEM passphrase.
>> > However this will eventually be part of an embedded application so the
>> > passphrase prompt can't happen.
>>
>> How are you going to embed it? Are you going to fork() wget from the parent
>> app? You can then just open a pipe to wget's stdin/stdou file descriptors
>> and once you get the passphrase prompt, you can send the actual passphrase
>> to wget.
>
> I read it as meaning a script, but if you're using a fork/exec, then you
> should consider libcurl instead.
>
> -Bart
>
> --
>                                WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/

Let me clarify.

I'm not using fork/exec. After booting, our embedded Linux product
runs a script using
a simple wget command to insecurely download it's application
software. But now our
requirements have changed and I need to enhance wget to do a secure
file download, or
provide some other means that can accommodate inputing a passphrase.

Am I hearing curl to do this as the best way?

thanx
/carl