[OCLUG-Tech] SHMConfig woes

I've a new Asus UL30 that is quite nicely running Ubuntu 9.10. (For info, Debian testing AMD64 crashed the wired ethernet -- rebooting in the Win7 even showed no adapter! Had to power down and restart. If anyone wants to try to sort this out to submit a bug report, contact me off list.)

However, my main problem now is to turn on SHMConfig so I can control the touchpad with synclient etc. I've tried about half a dozen different suggested fdi policy files for hal with no apparent success. I'm still told that

john@ul30karmic:~$ synclient -h
Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?
john@ul30karmic:~$

If someone has experience playing around with SHMConfig (or touchpad controls), please get in touch. The jumpy touchpad is annoying on an otherwise fine machine.

JN