[OCLUG-Tech] Wireless card on an Asus eeepc 701 not working with Ubuntu 9.10

Hello,

I installed Ubuntu netbook remix on my Asus eeepc 701 last night. Everything
went fine except for the driver of my network card. This network card worked
perfectly with the Xandros distro that came with the unit.

Running lspci, I can see what is my network card:

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless
Network Adapter (rev 01)

I tried to install the ath5k driver according to the procedure described
here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC/Fixes#Wireless and it didn't
work.
I also tried to install the Madwifi driver by following the procedure here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1309072 and it doesn't work as
well.

I know a few people bring their Asus to the meetings and their wireless card
is working.

Can somebody help me make the wireless card work with Ubuntu 9.10?

Thanks!

Charles

--
Charles Nadeau Ph.D.