Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: Laptop partitioning

--- On Tue, 12/1/09, Prof. John C Nash <nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca> wrote:
> Have been helping a friend with a new
> Lenovo G550 ... wonderful nasties at
> Lenovo have put 5 partitions on the drive, plus leaving some
> unallocated space.
>
> As I recall, the structure was
>
> 1 MB free unallocated
> 200 MB NTFS /dev/sda1
> 187 GB NTFS /dev/sda2
> 30 GB NTFS /dev/sda3 (extended)
>      30 GB NTFS /dev/sda5
> 14.5 GB NTFS /dev/sda4
>
> (with some odd unallocated bits of about 1MB between)
>
> This, of course, means that one needs to do some work to
> set up a Linux partition. On my wife's Asus Eee 1005HA,
> there were 4 partitions (C: D:
> recovery and winboost), but D: was empty and same size as
> C:, so replaced it with Karmic with no fuss.
>
> Does anyone have a good strategy for dealing with the
> Lenovo-style situation, which I fear is more or less a
> deliberate setup to block dual boot? This might make a very
> good tutorial / advice topic, and of course be beneficial to
> the Linux community generally, since many folk are reluctant
> to go to all-Linux right away. I find they eventually forget
> how to use Windows once they have Linux, but getting them
> going means finding convenient ways to set up dual boot.

I don't think it's just Lenovo.
You mention similar partitions on Asus Eee 1005HA.

I recently helped someone install Debian Lenny on a Windows Vista
desktop that had similar partitions.
I don't recall the computer manufacturer and unfortunately didn't note
the exact partitions.

This machine had a large D: that I shrank down using Lenny and
installed Lenny in the room created there and all worked fine.

roland