Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: Linux Digest, Vol 58, Issue 10

On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 13:51 -0400, Eric Brackenbury wrote:
> Hi Bill
> Can I be so bold as to ask why Fedora?

I was going to set him up in Ubuntu.  But he wanted a safety net -- me,
because I use Fedora.  With this wireless problem, I might have proven
to him that he can get a better safety net.

> I am fairly new to linux and after trying fedora and being disappointed with
> it I switched to Ubuntu and have move on at a much quicker pace I think.

Yea, well Fedora is always screwing around with new things.  It all
depends on what you want.

> My wireless and internet connection (5 computers including a net book and
> laptop) was no problem at all.

> The wireless side of thing in fact just connect with the password and router
> ID.

A couple of dumb double checking questions.

By password, do you mean a special password for the wireless
connection/router?  He says he has never used a password.  Maybe someone
else did when they installed for him.  When 'Show password' is checked
in NetworkManager a long alpha-numeric string shows up.  What is this?

By router ID, do you mean the router address?  He has a name of a
network that keeps showing up in NetworkManager.  I assumed that was an
alias for the router address.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3