Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Setting up wireless ?!?

On October 31, 2009, William Case wrote:

> Here is the problem:
>
>       * I can't get my friend's wireless connected and working.
>       * I don't have his laptop here now so I can only say it is a new
>         (purchased in the last four months) HP. Obviously, one of their
>         more expensive models. I will get the hardware details when I go
>         over to his place later.
>       * The laptop has a led that is red when it does not have a
>         wireless connection; blue when a connection has been established
>         -- led remains annoyingly and constantly red.
>       * I am using NetworkManager; the tooltip for the icon in the task
>         bar says it is connected.  NetworkManager services for all
>         runlevels are enabled and running according to the services gui
>         and the command line.
>       * lsmod doesn't seem to show me a wireless driver; but that could
>         be because I don't know what I am looking for.
>       * lspci doesn't help either.
>       * On ping I get no output other than the ping help message.  Just
>         realized as I was typing; I misused ping.  I will try it again
>         properly.
>       * His wireless connection is easily established in Windows Vista
>
> I need some pointers diagnosing the possible problems.  Just some
> suggestions on command line commands and what to look for should do.
> Should I be looking for a driver or what?
>
> Once I have found what is causing the difficulties, I can google for and
> read solutions.

Which model HP and wireless card?

On some moels the wireless is disabeled if a wired connection is present.  I
think it is  a BIOS setting.

Do you see it detected on boot up?  check dmesg

On my HP (nc4400) I also have bluethooth controled by the same button and have
to toggle it to get the wireless to work otherwise the bluetooth is turned on
instead.

--
Collector of vintage computers http://www.ncf.ca/~ba600