Re: [OCLUG-Tech] dma in Ubuntu?

John,

hdparm is really meant for devices that are driven by ide and legacy ata
drivers.  If your cdrom shows up as /dev/scd0, then it's going through a
subsystem of the Linux kernel that's responsible for SCSI.  More
specifically you're driving your cdrom with "libata" SCSI layer that
makes IDE/ATA devices look like SCSI ones.  Even though the device
accepts ATA commands, hdparm doesn't know how to talk to it because the
kernel didn't git it a device that looks like an ATA device.

You probably want to look at the sdparm and sg3-utils packages.  Have a
look at this to learn more about sdparm:

        http://sg.danny.cz/sg/sdparm.html

When I last had to use it, I found sdparm a lot harder to figure out
than the hdparm counter part.  I don't have an ATA CDROM anywhere so I
was unable to actually generate the command you need to flip DMA on.
Should you end up using sdparm to get this going, I'd like to learn from
your success.

-Bart

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/