[OCLUG-Tech] Re: git aliases, was: acceptable bourne shell function names

On 03/07/09 Bart Trojanowski said:

> * Michael P. Soulier <msoulier [ at ] digitaltorque [ dot ] ca> [090703 19:50]:
> > How would you make a git alias out of this?
> >
> > # Simulate hg's addremove command.
> > git_addremove()
> > {
> >     git add -A || return
> >     removed_files=$(git ls-files --deleted -z)
> >     if [ -n "$removed_files" ]; then
> >         echo "$removed_files" | xargs -0 git rm
> >     fi
> > }
>
> I have not tried this, but it should work...
>
> !git add -A && removed_files=$(git ls-files --deleted -z) && echo "$removed_files" | xargs -0 git rm
>
> My shell is zsh, and the pattern of X=$(foo) && bar does work there.

msoulier@anton:~/temp/rst$ git init
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/msoulier/temp/rst/.git/
msoulier@anton:~/temp/rst$ git addremove
fatal: pathspec '
' did not match any files

That complaint is why I have an if check in my function.

Can I embed one here? I haven't figured out how to get a semicolon into a git
alias.

Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier [ at ] digitaltorque [ dot ] ca>
--Albert Einstein