Re: [OCLUG-Tech] safe viewing of encrypted file

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] safe viewing of encrypted file
  • From: "Dave O'Neill" <dmo [ at ] dmo [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 23:14:33 -0000
John C Nash wrote:
Some of you may remember my OCLUG talk on tools for carrying encrypted files on USB. Still on this topic, I'm wondering the best way (for the moment just in Linux) to simply view the contents of an encrypted plain text file (my password list!) in a way that doesn't leave a backup file around, and clears memory etc.

Not that it helps with your current problem, but you might want to consider "pwsafe" as an alternative to keeping your passwords in an encrypted text file.

See http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/ or 'apt-get install pwsafe' on Debian.

Cheers,
Dave