[OCLUG-Tech] video on kubuntu with HP A305W integrated PC.

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] video on kubuntu with HP A305W integrated PC.
  • From: Charles MacDonald <cmacd [ at ] zeusprune [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 22:24:31 -0400
A week ago I started on what I thought was going to be a simple install
of Kubuntu on an older but hardly ancient (I Thought) HP Pavilion A305W
"debranded" computer.  The unit had been my wife's computer and she had
moved to a Eurocom laptop, which as eurocom promised had installed
Kubuntu 8.10 with hardly a flicker.  (ok there were a couple of minor
glitches but they were more my having to take a big version leap from
Suse 10)

I swapped in a new harddrive to replece the existing one on the HP, and
started to try the install on the HP.

The install want without a complaint until the reboot, when the system
hung as the icons were coming into focus on the KDE 4 splash screen.

the demo mode from the cd (which I tried second as I knew I wanteed to
install) would only start up in "safe graphics mode".  I ran the install
from there and my video got installed as VESA, 800*600.

Looking at the display setings applet, it shows I have AUTO 800*600 and
the hardware settings that the KDE help pages says should be there is
no-where to be found.  I belive the system has integrated Intel video
but I could not get any of the utilities that I have found so far to
confirm that.

The System uses only PCI connectors and so I dug out my PCI cards from
an old system.  I had two ATI Mach64 cards and an S3 card.  the ATI
cards would not start even in demo mode.  the S3 card seemed to start up
when I was trying it with an old 15 inch monitor in my workshop, but
whne I connected it to my Dell P1230 21 inch CRT in my office it said
that I could not find a valid mode.

it seems to run fine on the VESA mode, but I am used ot 1280*1024.
800*600 does not even show some of the system dialogs which run off the
screen at the bottom.

The only documnetaion I found said something like run xfix.  that ran
and said all was well.

IS there a way to ask Kubuntu to rerun the config on the PCI cards?  is
there a utility that should what is happening with he hardware settings
in kubuntu?

--
Charles MacDonald               Stittsville Ontario
 cmacd [ at ] zeusprune [ dot ] ca        Just Beyond the Fringe