Re: [OCLUG-Tech] DSL Packet Loss

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 06:19:25PM +0100, Damian Gerow wrote:
> On Wed 08/10/29 12:04, "rgb" rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] net wrote:
> > > It doesn't so much matter what the underlying
> > > technology is.  What's more important is whether
> > > or not your modem supports the gathering of
> > > statistics.
> > It most likely does.  I just had no information about it and didn't occur
> > to me to look for hacks.
>
> It *does* matter about the underlying technology?

Sorry, "It" is my modem being likely to gather stats.

> (Apologies if I misunderstood you.)

You misunderstood.  I was not clear.

> While we're on the topic, this is also a great opportunity to learn RRD.
It's a fantastic tool, especially for recording and graphing historical
information.  Being the foundation of MRTG, and subsequently Cricket, Cacti,
and a ream of other monitoring and pseudo-monitoring tools, it's fairly
prevalent, and immensely useful.

> I'm going to spend some time with Cacti in the next few days.  I'll see if I
can churn out a set of templates for the new SpeedTouch modems to make this a
little simpler.  GNet modems will have to wait; I accidentally pilfered my
power supply for parts about a month back, and I need to find a new one.

>   - Damian

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!