Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Question about grep

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 05:38:11PM -0400, Charles Nadeau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to remove all the lines of file2 that are in file1.
> In theory, grep -F -v -f file1 file2 should do the trick.
> The two files contain file names with their full path. Some parts of the
> paths contain spaces like:
>
> \a\b\c or d\picture1.jpg
> \a\b\cord\picture2.jpg
> \a\z\c or d\picture3.jpg
> \a\bc\c or d\picture4.jpg
> \a\bhhj\cor d\picture5.jpg
>
> Is it possible that the presence of spaces and slashes makes grep fail
> (I also tried fgrep and egrep and I got the same results)?
> Should I escape the slashes in my file paths? What about he spaces?
> Should I use sed instead of grep?

Are the spaces part of the filenames, or are they randomly added by accident?
If they are intentional, I'd assume as you have that -F should have done it.

I'd have done it another way, assuming order wasn't important:

cat file1 file2 | sort | uniq -u

> Charles Nadeau

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!