[OCLUG-Tech] Re netbook

I've been pretty happy with my Asus machines. The 701 is a bit limited on screen, but I use the 900 as my main box now. The 901 claims better battery life by using bigger battery and Atom processor to get 7.5 hours, but I measured 5 hours on "ordinary" stuff -- no wireless. Pat Suwalski had the S101 at last meeting. VERY NICE. Probably expensive. Looks like they are trying to go after the Apple Mac Air market.

My Acer (different machine -- 14" screen) from Feb 2007 has been around the world and stood up OK, but battery now dead -- or maybe it's the power circuitry. Anyway, now run it without the battery in it. I think I'd agree they are not super robust, but I've no great complaints about the value for money.

Does anyone else wonder why there are no laptops with just a couple of 12V inputs and no battery? You'd need 2 inputs to avoid crash when one input was dying. I'd prefer not to have a proprietary battery and just use external packs or adapters. And the Asus 900 uses 12V in. Canadian Tire here we come.

JN