[OCLUG-Tech] reminders from the past

The August tutorial by Bart T. reminded me that the current paging memory approach in operating systems was not always the choice. In the late 60s and early 70s when multi-user / multi-tasking operating systems were being developed, one of the more interesting efforts in OS design was the GEORGE series on ICL equipment. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEORGE_(operating_system)

I first saw this in about 1969/70. In Calgary I'd suffered as IBM used the U of C 360/50 to try out OS/MVT their first "Multiprocessing Variable number of Tasks" version. OS/MFT (F for fixed) was working. This was roll in roll out. One time my output (cards in, paper out) had my headers, someone else's source, my JCL, another person's Linker output, and yet another's user output. Sigh.

In Oxford, I first used KDF9 -- an early machine that used a floating point stack (rather closely copied in 8087 and current NDP architectures). Then we got an ICL 1906A. It ran GEORGE 3 which was a "roll in/roll out" approach. I don't think it ever ran GEORGE4, which was paged, copying the ATLAS machine then still running at Harwell (UK Atomic Energy Authority). I saw ATLAS running in 1971 not long before its decommissioning -- paging memory was implemented on 1" Tektronix video tape recorders.

Re: GEORGE, the Wikipedia item fails to note that all the GEORGES had same user commands. That was quite a good idea that SHOULD be remembered. That is, no matter what goes on underneath, the user still gets the same UI. And this doesn't just apply to operating systems.

My guess is that the current "everyone uses paging" approach is not such a good idea for specialized applications. There's probably some useful work to be done in simpler, cleaner designs for many applications such as real time, database backends, and high performance computations. Now that the h/w is cheap, the obsession with multiprocessing may be irrelevant in many cases.

Vote of thanks to Bart & co. Keep up the good work.

Cheers, JN