[OCLUG-Tech] Double checking grub-install ??

Hi;

I have to run fixmbr on my WindowsXP harddisk (sda).  I assume this use
of fixmbr will blow away my grub.  So after running fixmbr I will go to
my Fedora rescue disk and do:

grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/sdb

That is; I want grub stage1 on the mbr of sda while I want stage2 on
sdb /boot.

I am looking for confirmation that this is a correct strategy and the
proper use of the grub-install command.

Problem:

I have posted this problem for over a week on the Fedora list. Most
answers are re-typed quotes from the man and info grub and grub-install.
But I can get no assurances that grub will place stage1 on the sda mbr,
and stage2 on sdb /boot without confusion.  Here is why I say that.

When I first boot I get the Fedora grub splash screen/menu twice --
besides that everything else boots normally.

First let me say, grub and I spent quite a bit of time together a couple
of years ago, so I am generally comfortable using it and don't believe
my problems are as a result of being a grub newbie.

My system is dual boot with WindowsXP installed on hard drive /dev/sda
(hd0) and Fedora installed on a second hard drive /dev/sdb (hd1).  In
case it matters (it shouldn't) I have a ext3 partition on sda for Linux
backup and a FAT32 partition on sdb for Windows backup.

About four weeks ago my commercial boot loader was blown away by the
WindowsXP sp3 download and install.  Fine and good: that didn't surprise
me.

I just installed grub.  During a first attempt at a grub install I had
an ooops! So I just re-installed grub and everything seemed fine.
Because it was an oops and not a confusion, I didn't pay attention to
the mistake, so now a month later I have forgotten exactly what I did
wrong.  Besides I thought I had recovered.

About a week ago (I don't re-boot very often), I noticed the Fedora
grub splash screen appear for 1/2 second or less, pause for a second,
and then a new splash screen appeared and everything progressed fine
from there.  This occurs definitely during the grub stage of bootup.

I didn't do anything then because I was going to fresh install Fedora 9
with a new grub on the weekend.  Which I have done.  But the double
splash screen still appears.

Analysis:
I believe that I have two grub stage 2 on my system; one in
sdb /boot/grub and another in sda -- somewhere.

Proposed solution:
1) Run 'fixmbr' from my Windows CD; which I expect will blow away my
grub stage 1
2) Re-install grub from my Fedora 9 disc1 rescue mode.

Questions:
1) I have looked at the Fedora rescue mode; as there is no 'firstaid'
file which was promised would appear in Fedora 9. I will grub-install
from the rescue command line or the grub install from the grub command
line.
2) As a double check could someone tell me if I have the correct command
to put stage1 in the mbr of hd0 and tell grub that stage2 is in
sdb /boot

'# grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/hda'

I just would like to have reassurance that grub interprets the above
command as meaning what I want i.e that it can find /boot on the second
disc -- not create or find an extraneous stage 2 on /dev/sda

I asked here as a double check because what I am planning will wipe out
my boot loader for both of my systems temporarily and I wanted to make
sure that I can be up and running as smoothly as possible.

I have taken the time to outline fully my problem and proposed solution
so that you can give me any additional comments or solutions.  I am
hoping that the 'fixmbr' command will not only restore the mbr but also
eliminate the extra stage2 -- if that really is the problem.  How can I
check the existence of an extra stage2 somewhere on my sda?

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2