Re: [OCLUG-Tech] can't run apt-get install or update on ubuntu 8.04

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] can't run apt-get install or update on ubuntu 8.04
  • From: "S. Zachariah Sprackett" <zac [ at ] sprackett [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 20:04:13 -0400
On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Ralph Boland <rpboland [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com> wrote:

>   During Installation I was asked for HTTP proxy information.
>
>   It requested information of the form:
>     http://[[user][:pass]@]host[:port]
>
>   I answered with:   "MyHostName"
>
>  If I must give a different value for the HTTP proxy
>  what value am I supposed to give?
> What is a HTTP proxy anyway?

This is most likely your problem.  An http proxy is an intermediary through
which
web traffic passes before going to it's real destination.  If you are not
actually
running a proxy on your machine, this reroute through yourself will fail
because
no proxy will actually be listening.  If you're unsure what to put for
proxy, you almost
definitely want it to be blank.

-z

message navigation