[OCLUG-Tech] Re: Linux Digest, Vol 41, Issue 10: install proxy and hostname misconfigured

They look related to me.

Are you actually accessing an internet? A proxy, in this case, is acting like a store-and-forward host, so if you actually access, then you wouldn't specify a proxy.

http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy-security/restricted/i18n/Translation-en_CA.bz2
Could not connect to MyHostName:80 (127.0.1.1). - connect (111 Connection refused)

Artifact of the incorrect proxy...discussed below.

   During installation I was asked for an internet address.
I didn't know what setting to use to I left it blank.
I assume I should set my internet address to  127.0.1.1.

These days, this is often done by what you're connecting to, for example a router-box (or ppp connection to a network) gateway providing addresses via dhcp. During the installation, about the time the network is set up, you are typically asked about "automatic", or "manual". I'm guessing the "manual" path was taken. You would chose manual if you are not connected to any network, or one that uses statically assigned addresses.

How do I do this now?

If you are subsequently connecting, and dhcp-client runs, then it's irrelevent, because dhcp will fetch an IP address for you. To answer your question, though, you'll probably find "MyHostName" now in /etc/hosts, /etc/hostname and possibly, /etc/mailname.

   During Installation I was asked for HTTP proxy information.

   I answered with:   "MyHostName"

 If I must give a different value for the HTTP proxy
 what value am I supposed to give?

Ooh-er. Unless you actually know the store-and-forward host you've been told to forward to, take the default (which is blank). Just hit 'OK' with a blank line.

As a side note, in order for the 'name' to work, either you have to have working dns, like as was provided during dhcp negotiation, or have used a shell to tweak the /etc/hosts during the install [expert-like].

What is a HTTP proxy anyway?

Store-and-forward host that send out http requests, and receives the replies, on your behalf.

If this was a debian box, I'd try something like dpkg-reconfigure of the network so you get asked the questions again, now that you know better how to answer them. Failing that, perhaps "network-manager" is the right tool...

Gord.