[OCLUG-Tech] Re: [oclug-announce] March meeting: tonight! BIND & DNS

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: [oclug-announce] March meeting: tonight! BIND & DNS
  • From: allmail <allmail [ at ] trantor [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 16:18:17 -0500
Sorry if this goes to too many people. I can't make it
to the meeting, but would be very interested in whatever
notes the presenter has. I have DNS all over the place and
even though I'm fairly used to the various record types,
I use DynDNS for some dynamically allocated IP machines and
I would very much like to just put up my own. If somebody
already has a formula for Ubuntu, Red-Hat, FreeBSD or Windows,
what the heck, I might as well piggy-back on that.

FWIW -- I am interested in the Caching, but I'm even more
interested in techniques to force upstream invalidation of
caches. I maintain web servers and domain propagation (or
deletion) that should happen instantly can sometimes take
more than an hour. I am talking about my own DNS servers
here, not propagating DNS name servers or anything like that.

Currently, I sometimes will put up a temporary canonical
domain for testing and then delete it. I find that sometimes
even after I clear my local caches, restart my server, restart
my router and restart bind on the DNS host (say I made
test1.HushData.com and then deleted it. Since HushData.com
has its own registered name servers, it should either resolve
or fail to resolve names in its DNS. I can't recall if I
have ever had a new domain *FAIL* to resolve directly, but
I have often had deleted ones continue to show up even though
I have flushed my DNS cache and every other cache of which
I am aware. My ISP has had problems in the past with their
supplier's routers keeping stuff longer than they should, but
I have no way to diagnose this except by extreme exclusion
(trying everything else). I have a bit of a 'leg up' in that
I can ssh into a few other of my servers and see how they
react. However, that has been even more perplexing. My servers
are all over North America and sometimes, when this is
extreme, I will find a couple resolve (and return data from
the now non-existent canonical domain) and others (properly)
return the fact that no such domain exists.

Another more aggravating (but less frequent) problem is after
I change IP addresses for a domain. I had to do this recently
to install an SSL cert and it took hours for that thing to
finally end up returning the actual cert and the file
system it was certifying because some router or server along
the way refused to purge the old IP address.

Anyway, I am not asking anyone to go to the bother of
addressing these particulars, I am just giving an idea of
the type of information I would like to get if there are
presentation slides, PDFs or whatever from the meeting.

Regards to all and apologies if I am putting this on the
wrong list.

Bob Trower

Brenda J. Butler wrote:

March meeting:  2008 March 4, 19:00
Algonquin College T117 (same as Jan & Feb)

BIND Name Server Administration
 Speaker: Jean-Francois Messier
What DNS is, and is NOT What WHOIS is, and is not IP address allocation, and domain ownership (briefly) What BIND is (with sample/dummy configuration files) The type of records (A, NS, MX, PTR, TXT as well as TTL) Config files A little bit about dynamic DNS and DHCP Shared secret for update exchange Free domain names and hosting (DynDNS, FreeDNS, etc) Implementing a cache DNS at home to speed up internet lookups.

bjb