Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Understanding 64bit memory addressing

I'm sure there's a way to do that, but it may be far easier to remove all memory modules, put them back in one at a time, run memtest and see which one causes the errors.
cheers!
--Raj.

Bruce Miller wrote:
Can anyone point me to a *_very elementary_* article/tutorial on 64-bit memory addressing?

The purpose in asking is dead-simple and practical. My brand-new 64bit desktop computer has a bad memory module. I had repeated kernel panics last weekend. When I ran memtest+, the screen lit up in red like an angry police cruiser. But I did not understand the address it pointed to. I cannot quote the exact address (I am in Halifax this morning and the misbehaving computer is in Ottawa.). but the hex address began with 00109xxxx(etc) and the "tranlated" address was 4345MB. The system has 4,096MB of RAM installed; some interpretation is necessary. Is all memory installed from a base address of zero?

While my immediate goal is to tell the shop where I bought the computer which module they must replace, I would also like to understand the addressing better. Any ideas?

Bruce
--
Bruce Miller
Ottawa ON, Canada