[OCLUG-Tech] Wanted: System Administrator for short-term contract ($40/h)

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Wanted: System Administrator for short-term contract ($40/h)
  • From: Allan Fields <afields [ at ] ncf [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 22:23:37 -0500
Hello,

Looking for System Administrator for short term contract in West End. Ideally, someone who doesn't mind working under supervision with a common GNU screen session. I have a bunch of aging systems which require work and which believe it or not, I am just too "preoccupied" to finish off myself. This is a small startup so you mustn't mind working with diverse (read _old crap_) hardware and multiple operating systems in a SOHO environment/network.

*NIX System Administrator:
	* Cabling/shelving cleanup (ouch)
	* Linux CentOS, Gentoo
	* FreeBSD, OpenBSD

Tasks (this was my job, but I am outsourcing some):
	* Backups, data transfer from damaged filesystem;
* FreeBSD RAID/SATA diagnose (It has worked, but now I get hardware/ DMA errors - maybe it's toast - RMA adapter/drives?); --> if you fix this one, BSDCan/OLS/PgCon might get their videos, someday -- it was functioning well but started crashing so I need a new one * Linux CentOS VMWare install (client is broken, I haven't found a way to fix it yet); * Linux video server, get webcam/VOIP running (I don't care so much for this); * MediaWiki maintenance: put in place security/split data between DMZ and internal machine;
	* DMZ: ensure firewall rules are sufficiently secure/functioning;
* Setup webhost (new install) and Apache for an external facing websites;
	* Slashcode maintenance and themes;

Calling for reinforcements: by helping solve my impending infrastructure problems you are helping unclog the entire sector and move Ottawa ahead in the world, in a strange way I think it is true, but cannot fulfill it myself alone, I have concluded, except for tasks which require specialized knowledge. There are certain classes of problems which I enjoy solving more than others, but mostly I'm in a time crunch and want to make a bunch of old servers useful again for development and advanced office tasks.

Please email: Allan Fields <afields [ at ] ncf [ dot ] ca> with a Resume.

Note: preference given to OCLUG members which I have already met, and who want an interesting part-time gig. I can pay fairly (given my circumstances) at $40/h for a duration of 10h to begin with, casual/ part-time. However since I am very tight on funds, I'd even consider volunteers who gain the sense to understand what is at stake. (I am moving toward religious mission work, but not of the Soup Kitchen variety per se.)

Thanks,
	Allan Fields <afields [ at ] ncf [ dot ] ca>
	Himeji Systems
	T: 613.825.8658
	C: 613.866.3254

	Q: Can the government assassinate religious leaders?
	A: That depends, but I'd wager it unwise.