[OCLUG-Tech] Configuring 4GB RAM on an Intel box

When I ordered my brand-new super-quiet Intel box with 4GB of
RAM, I knew that there were issues with the 4GB limit of 32-bit
OSes. Little did I expect that a couple of hours Googling and
reading would leave me completely befuddled.

Before I spend more hours testing endlessly, I would appreciate
input on the best compromise in the "real world". BTW, I am
highly comfortable with Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon; I will install it
first. There is lots of space available to try other distros
later.

Some sources say that the CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G configuration works
for installations up to and including 4 GB RAM. Others say that
one must use a PAE kernel (CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G) for installations
of 4GB and up. My reading suggests that he latter group appears
to be correct: If the first 32Kb of memory is reserved for PCI
assignments, 4GB does not fit into (4G minus 32K).

dmesg recognizes all 4GB but recommends the PAE kernel:
[    0.000000] Warning only 4GB will be used.
[    0.000000] Use a PAE enabled kernel.
[    0.000000] 3200MB HIGHMEM available.
[    0.000000] 896MB LOWMEM available.

cat /proc/meminfo tells a different story:
MemTotal:      3369808 kB
MemFree:       2816504 kB
Buffers:         81396 kB
Cached:         342620 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:         210868 kB
Inactive:       285996 kB
HighTotal:     2489856 kB
HighFree:      2068024 kB
LowTotal:       879952 kB
LowFree:        748480 kB
SwapTotal:           0 kB
SwapFree:            0 kB

P.S. Because this is a "just home from the store" system running
off a LiveCD, the hard disks are not yet partitioned and there
is no swap space. I will correct this during the OS install.

Q. Some sources state that enabling PAE in the kernel leaves a
significant performance hit. All these sources are two years old
or more. Is this problem inherent or has it been worked around?
How significant is the hit? Since the default Ubuntu kernel on
the LiveCD acknowledges ~3.3 GB of RAM, should I consider
"leaving alone"?

Q. A posting by Falko Timme on howtoforge.com from mid-December
2007 states that there is a bug in the GRUB implementation on
Debian Etch which prevents the system from recognizing more than
~3.3 GB RAM. (The exact figure on his 6GB system was a little
higher than on my 4GB system.) He offers a patch and recommends
recompiling GRUB. Does anyone know if the version of GRUB in
Ku/Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon contains the same bug?

Thanks in advance for advice on these questions.

P.S. Since posting the above first on ubuntuforums.org, I have
learned that the so-called "amd64" 64but versions work perfectly
well on my Intel Core 2 Duo E2160 processor. My recall is that
there now exist satisfactory solutions to longstanding problems
with Flash, the nVidia proprietary blob, etc. Off to do more Googling.

--
Bruce Miller
Ottawa ON, Canada