[OCLUG-Tech] Engineer's question -- where and how do peripherals store their identity?

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Engineer's question -- where and how do peripherals store their identity?
  • From: William Case <billlinux [ at ] rogers [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 13:01:39 -0500
Hi all;

Another question that is driving me nuts.  It may be because I am
mis-asking the question.

It seems to me each peripheral (device), whether it is a hard disk, a
sound card, a video card or a bus must have an identity stored on board
that the BIOS or udev --probe can locate in order to set up a hwconfig
table (struct). I understand that the BIOS probe and information is, or
can be, different and separate from the later Linux OS probe.  Once a
device is recorded in the hwconfig table I can trace the actions of the
kernel on modules, and drivers etc.

This is a physical, hardware question: Where is the device identity
registered on the device and how is it probed?

Does each device have a EEPROM or is the identity hardwired in place by
the manufacturer?  Does a 'probe' send a signal down the control lines
on a bus and report back an identity for each device it finds? How?  On
the Data Lines?  Is there a specific function, in BIOS, in the kernel,
in udev, that accomplishes this?

What does the kernel do with that data?  I have a kernel manual for 2.6
and greater.  The manual is silent or I have mis-read something.

I have gone to the various standards sites; Ieee, PCI. MAC, ISA, etc.,
etc.  Each one of those sites register companies and release identity
numbers that can be found in hwdata libraries originally obtained from
(http://pciids.sourceforge.net/)

None seem to say how the identity must be stored on the device or
peripheral and/or how the probe is to find that identity?

This started out for me as a small question.  If it is too large to
answer directly, is there a HowTo that answers it?  I *have* checked and
read the standards sites -- such as are available to me.

--
Regards Bill