Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Installing Linux

* Brian Gamble <brianmgamble [ at ] rogers [ dot ] com> [070914 14:21]:
> I need help ti install Linux and uninstall windows xp as the latter is
> running very slowly. I am a moderately competent operator but I have
> no experience with codes of HTML etc. What would really be helpful is
> if someone would kindly give me assistance in terms of a sequence of
> steps for installing and uninstalling along with any pertinent advice.

Hi Brian.

First let's talk about this "uninstall".  If you don't want to keep
anything on your computer, you can just install over Windows and blow
away everything on there.  You could perhaps backup your data files onto
a flash disk, or an external USB drive.

Having said that you can still install Linux with Windows on your drive.
But I am not sure if you want this, since you are talking about
uninstalling Windows.

Next, Linux comes in different colours and flavours -- that is there are
various different distributions that tailor to different types of users.
I think the most popular entry level distro today is Ubuntu.

You can get Ubuntu for free from

        http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

The installer will need network access, if you have DSL or cable
internet you'll be fine.

-Bart

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/