Re: [OCLUG-Tech] looking for Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 2.1 AS CDor DVD for studying.

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] looking for Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 2.1 AS CDor DVD for studying.
  • From: Allan Fields <afields [ at ] ncf [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 19:50:00 -0400
The thing with RedHat is that at times even the companies/ organizations which do pay for support are out of luck when they cannot find their old RedHat CD and their RedHat Network subscription has expired, they must rummage about the muck on-line in hopes of finding the correct RPMs/source files to build that dependency for a tool which requires an old version of some library.

It's a real fun exercise and only takes the greater part of a day or two, during which you could be facing downtime/unable to security patch some package. I heard there is supposedly alternate sources for outdated RPMs somewhere on the net, but I haven't bothered looking. Try installing SpamAssasin on RedHat 8 or 9. Some production servers circa 2006-2007 are still running older versions of RHEL 2/3. The worst your going to find in a "sane" ISP environment is RHEL4, I hope. But I don't want to bash RedHat at it's best. That's not my concern.

As companies either stay up to date or fail to stay up to date they may run into legacy issues. I really wish it weren't so. Alternately, with FreeBSD, things start to get, intentionally out of date on the mirror sites and packages go missing. At least there are archives. The best advice I have is to keep a full catalog of out- dated install/package media with any environment running legacy distributions.

Ideally you'd have this all coordinated years in advance in your super organized data-centre, with all the CDs neatly labeled and organized by platform (with one of those binders in case you need to save space.) My home office is not yet ideal, but I invested in RubberMaid containers to store the computing cruft. I just feel sorry for the sucker who has to pay to recycle all the junk. Even the third world rejects my old Macintosh PhoneNET adapters, don't they?

- afields