Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Libraries Hiding After Ubuntu Upgrade

The reason that "echo" works while other commands doesn't is that
"echo" is a part of your shell - think of "echo" in the same way you
would the "*" wildcard character for path expansion. There's no binary
executable file on your system for either command/character.

To solve your problem, running ldconfig is the first thing that I (and
apparently you!) thought of. Other potential ideas/solutions:

Check the contents of $LD_LIBRARY_PATH - it's a "considered harmful"
means of adding paths on which dynamic libraries can reside. Check for
anything that looks funky/out of place (eg a path to some temporary
directory left-over from upgrades).

Check for duplicate binaries in your system - changes in the
environment could be causing some of your terminals to pick up the
correct binary, and other terminals to be grabbing a bad/outdated
binary that's still hanging around in your $PATH.

Actually, before doing that, check out your $PATH in an xterm and in a
virtual terminal. Are they identical?

Try to figure out which shell is being run as another possible problem
point. Is xterm firing up bash while your virtual terminal is digging
up a fossilized /bin/sh?