Re: [OCLUG-Tech] increasing Gentoo monitor usage

Ian! D. Allen wrote:
> A friend running Gentoo upgraded monitors from 15" to 17":
>
>     Alex set up my machine in Linux and all was fine until [someone else]
>     tried to make my life better by replacing my perfectly good 15 inch
>     monitor with a 17 inch one.  Now everything is so tiny I can't read
>     it and most of the screen is blank.  No one seems to know how to
>     fix this.  Is there an easy way to make things bigger?
>
>     This is Gentoo.  Any help would be appreciated.  Strangely enough,
>     when the computer boots up the print is fine but once you go into
>     e-mail (thunderbird) or internet (firefox) everything gets small.
>
> I've never used Gentoo (and I don't use Gnome or KDE).  What can I tell her?

Some of the digital monitors rember different settings for each
configuation.  Perhaps if she just uses the monitor menu she can get it
to fill the screen.  If not, the X server config will have to be
tweeked, and I don't know if their is a utility in gentu to do that.

--
Charles MacDonald               Stittsville Ontario
 cmacd [ at ] TelecomOttawa [ dot ] net        Just Beyond the Fringe