Re: [OCLUG-Tech] building a VT enabled system

On 8-Mar-07, at 22:02 , Dan Langille wrote:

I was unsure as to whether or not a dual core would be an advantage under
XEN,

As long as you run more then one virtual machine it should :-)

The X2 3800+ (dual core) cpu runs slower at 2GHz. Get the 65w version for reduced power consumption.

Instead of the Sonata case consider the Antec NSK4400 with 350w supply to save $20. It is a very similar case.

Consider the Asus M2N-MX mainboard. It is mATX sized with nvidia video onboard. It is $20 cheaper. However it only has 4 SATA connectors versus 6.

The ram you have listed is the wrong type. The socket AM2 cpus use DDR-2 ram. A 2GB PC2-5300 ram kit (Crucial) is listed for $220.

Depending on what the system was going to be used for I would be tempted to use the $100 Athlon64 3200+. It is a single core cpu running at 2GHz. So half of a X2 3800+. It should be more then sufficient for most home server needs.

--
sg