Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: Back-up strategy for home linux systems

On 28-Feb-07, at 17:12 , Geoff Gigg wrote:

Have you considered the free ghost program? Hubert Feyrer's
NetBSD-based "g4u".

g4u works, but it is a rather ugly brute force "backup" method. Last time I checked g4u essentially does this:

dd if=/dev/hda | gzip > hdimage.gz

It can take a while to create and restore the image. The image is not portable to a different sized harddrive and sometimes different manufacturers.

It does have its place, but for backups the other options discussed are likely better. Even cp -R would be better.

If you do use g4u be sure to zeroize free space on all filesystems first. A simple method is to create and delete a large file of zeros:

FOO=$( mktemp -p . )
dd if=/dev/zero of="$FOO"
rm "$FOO"

See the -p option in man mktemp to control the location of the temp file. See the bs option in man dd. I generally set bs=102400 for improved speed.

--
sg