[OCLUG-Tech] Re: Debian package database corrupted?

I have a machine that I use at U of O that serves (as right now) for email and a bit of web browsing, editing and spreadsheets. Unfortunately, being old, the drives are starting to complain a bit. After an fsck today, I could not get apt / dpkg etc. to work due to an error

Reading package lists... Error!
E: Malformed 1st word in the Status line
E: Error occurred while processing libeeh2-2 (UsePackage3)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
root@nashpc-ub:/home/john#

(Here temporarily running as root to avoid typing sudo on each line.)

Anyone know how to clean up the debian files and get sane again, short of reinstall? (Worst case is that I'll use liveCD until April, when I can let the machine die.).

CHeers, JN