Re: [OCLUG-Tech] So, I'm a relative newbie...

If you like OpenWRT take a look at dd-wrt, openwrt backend with a more manageable front end.

Stephen Gregory wrote:
On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 03:10:35PM -0400, Martin Hicks wrote:
I'd actually recommend the old linksys wrt54g or 54gs.  They run linux.
The newer ones are labelled a different way.

Just to be clear: the Linksys WRT54G/GS that you can buy new today
does not run Linux and cannot be made to run Linux. There is supposed
to be a more expensive WRT54GL version that does run Linux. As is
typical with Linksys (and Dlink and others) two different versions of
the same hardware name/model can be completely different and
incompatible hardware. Please research carefully before buying Linux
compatible hardware.

I run openwrt on my wrt54gs. It rocks.