Re: [OCLUG-Tech] M$ tax refund for preinstalled win laptop

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] M$ tax refund for preinstalled win laptop
  • From: "Brenda J. Butler" <bjb [ at ] magma [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:58:52 -0400

I managed to buy a laptop without the OS in the first place,
from The Trailing Edge in Bells Corners.  I dealt with Alan
Fournier.

Please mention up front when you buy that you don't want Windows,
so he can arrange ahead of time.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Apparently, it's difficult to impossible to get MS and/or
the retailer and/or the vendor to refund your OS money.
MS makes the statement on their EULA that you can get the
refund from some other party, but the other parties don't
make that promise.  So, contractually, you're SOL.
You basically have to blackmail them with "bad press" to
get your money, and someone (not MS) will be out of
pocket.  Not your problem I know, but MS gets the money
even after all your effort.

Anyway, that's my impression - I could be wrong.  It was
easier for me to get the box without the license in the
first place.  I acknowledge that that's not easy in general.

cheerio,
bjb