[OCLUG-Tech] help with USB-serial devices

I'm trying to communicate with a device over usb-serial cable and I
can't figure out how to configure the serial parameters.  I can get
the tty parameters listed, but I can't seem to change them.

Listing the parameters is simple enough with the following command:

stty -a < /dev/ttyUSB0

Changing the baud rate to 9600 with the following command line hangs
the command (it doesn't return):

stty 9600 < /dev/ttyUSB0

Can someone confirm that the stty command is the way that these
parameters are supposed to be changed?

If stty is the way to configure the port, can anyone suggest why it
doesn't seem to work for me (note that I have confirmed that I have
write permissions on /dev/ttyUSB0)?

regards.