[OCLUG-Tech] Re: sane build environment help needed. Modest $$

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: sane build environment help needed. Modest $$
  • From: Prof J C Nash <nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 17:50:49 -0400
Several folk have offered advice on previous request and this has helped put into perspective the issue, but has not resolved it for me, likely because I am not sufficiently knowledgeable (nor wish to become so) on the innards of the compile/build setup for Linux i.e., pkg-build, autoconf, automake, make, etc. Note that there is a U in OCLUG.

The outcome is that the requirement I have is as follows:

    Be able to get source code (likely from a developer cvs) and
    build a test version of that code.

This is for me a volunteer activity, in that I've been asked, and am quite willing to, create test spreadsheets for Gnumeric and other spreadsheet processors that are beyond the current "see 1+1=2" level. You can see a first cut as the trig.xls file on the Gnumeric site (testing tools). Gnumeric is the package I'll need to compile so I can test new versions to see if inaccuracies are gone. While there may be some occasion to write about this activity, it doesn't really qualify as research, but I can probably find a few $100 to pay someone to help set up an environment that will let me do this, and hopefully some scripts or recipes to do the setup on other systems sensibly.

There is also a proposal to add an audit trail to Gnumeric that so far is lacking in nearly all spreadsheet tools.

In that there may be other folk with expertise who want to do builds for similar purposes, I am hoping to be able to share the "build" knowledge in the form of a HowTo for non-Developers. And of course, the test spreadsheets are intended to document the tests, which are usable in checking other computational codes.

Get in touch off-list if you are intersted so we can work out details.

JN

--
John C. Nash, School of Management, University of Ottawa,
Vanier Hall 451, 136 Jean-Jacques Lussier Private,